Saturday, March 8, 2014

Mind Museum: Creative Science



                As I approached the College of Science Auditorium, I was greeted by a sea of people. A line was being catered to by the famous Mind Museum. I had once gone to Taguig and was encouraged by my elder brother to go to that science-based museum, but I never had the money. I felt privileged, therefore, that they went to me, instead. So, as I sat down in my usual chair, and the mind movers were introduced, I listened in awe. The concepts and the ideas were not new to me but I was stricken by the way they creatively presented it to us. I was moved by their passion and dedication in the field of science. The male who’s majoring in Physics needs much recognition for his intense emotion and enthusiasm in sharing with us scientific information. The ideas and the relevant issues, which include statistics, they have brought us, made me aware of the real situations that disable the Philippines to progress as a nation. The primary fact that Mind Museum is the only science museum in this country brought sadness to me, a novice lover of Science.
                
               The mind movers had succeeded in creating a rather innovative way of communicating Science to the younger generation… a Science, not as a subject in school but a concept that is all around us. By using experiments, trivia, and pictures, they had proven that art and science correlate with one another. I absolutely agreed in the three ways in which one could effectively communicate Science. First was by engagement. This meant that as science communicators, they should spark one’s curiosity and with that participants, themselves, will strive to know more. The second one was wonder. They encouraged their participants to know all about the world, the vast knowledge that one could explore, which then results to a change in behavior. “Teach them not just to fish but the value of fishing”, as Kuya said. And the third one was show. They showed through science demonstrations the beauty of Science.

               
               Truly, the visitation of Mind Museum was essential to my growth as a student of Science. It opened my eyes to the wonders and the beauty of Science like never before. Hence, expect me to be at their museum for I am now curious; hence, I bought a ticket.      

No comments:

Post a Comment