Sunday, March 9, 2014

Individual Project|| Love So Sweet

February 2015
                Cassandra is seated in a comfortable couch reading a health magazine at the company president’s receiving area waiting for Engr. Ryutaro Hirai, a young chocolate magnate and chemical engineer rumoured so handsome that he makes all the ladies swoon. Although thinking about it, she is not doing badly herself. After all, she is the ‘It’ girl in Hollywood today. She is Cassandra Reeves. She is favourably blonde, outstandingly smart, drop-dead gorgeous and sexy as hell. And for the same reasons, she really dreaded this interview. Nonetheless, she has to do it as a Valentine Special for her talk show.
                The interview will center about these low fat and low sugar chocolate products the company, Amai Koi, has developed. Come on, who would believe that nonsense?  Even as a child, she steered away from chocolates in a conscious effort to stay healthy. Knowing well that this is some kind of lie to effectively market their products to the people, she is determined to find a loophole with their products in this interview.
                The sudden ping of the elevator bell interrupted her reverie though she does not mind at all. For emerging from it comes the hottest CEO she has ever seen.
                The rumours have not done him justice. Those deep blue eyes, charming smile and the low voice are more than any woman can take. He is worth melting for.
                “Miss Reeves?”
                “Yes..?”
He is just like a dream. I would not want to wake up.
                “Sorry to have keep you waiting. There are some matters that needed my immediate attention.”  
OMG! He is offering his hand! I have to grab on this opportunity.
                “I hope I’m also one of those matters.”
…So only  I could have your  attention now.
                “Pardon?”
Oh, he is so cute when smirking. But wait. Damn. What am I saying! This is not how an ‘It’ girl should act.
                “Uhm… What I mean is shall we proceed to the matter of the interview now, Engr. Hirai?”
                “Of course, please have a seat Ms. Reeves.”
                “Thank you.”
See? I can behave myself. Good job Cassie! Although I have no confidence as to how long I could take his proximity without having a daydream about a date with him. Oh, come on girl, you can do this!
                “Mr. Hirai, is it true that you made chocolates healthier with the new products you have developed?”
                “Not necessarily. Even before, there are health benefits we can get from chocolates since their main ingredient is cocoa. Cocoa surpasses even green tea with its antioxidant properties in threefold. Notably, it has an anti-depressant property which observably elevates one’s mood when eating chocolates. Also, it has properties related to anti-aging and anti-inflammation.  It is more likely to say that we treat the side effects of their consumption --high levels of saturated fat and sugar.”
                “In what way did you treat these side effects?”
                “For the problem with sugar, we went with the usual dark chocolate products which contain 85% cocoa solids and less of the normal sugar.”
                “Wouldn’t that upset the buyers since it will taste bitter than normal chocolates?”
                “That is where diacylglycerol comes in.”
                “Diacylglycerol? What is that?”
                “Diacylglycerol is a special fat synthesized to substitute normal fats called tricylglycerols present in chocolate production. During substitution, the synthesized fat dilutes the bitter taste from the cocoa mixture. Moreover, with one fatty acid group less than the normal fats and a different molecular structure, they need not to be stored in the fat cells. This treats the high level of saturated fat. ”
                “Amazing, I cannot believe that it is really possible! Maybe now, I can eat chocolates without the feeling of guilt for my health.”
                “Do not tell me you still haven’t tasted any chocolate?”
Is it that weird? I am always thinking about my health and my figure to dare.
                “Not that I remember.”
                “You have not changed at all, Cassie. You’re very funny.”
How did he know my nickname? I don’t think that is a public knowledge. Only my family and friends know to call me that.
                “I believe health is a serious matter to be concerned with. And please do not call me Cassie. I am not closely associated with you.”
                “What? You still don’t recognize me? 15 years must really be a long time. Does the ‘dragon’ ring a bell?”
Dragon?...15 years ago…Ryu…
Happy Valentine’s Day Cassie!!! Here, my gift for you.
Chocolates? Are you kidding? I would never eat those. They’re unhealthy! They are more fitted in the trash!
                “Dragon…Ryu!!! It is you!”
                “Finally, you remember me!”
                “You’ve changed a lot.”
In a way so good to be true. Why did he grew up this handsome???
                “Maybe. Change is good if it’s for the better although there are things and feelings that won’t change.”
                “What do you mean?”
                “Happy Valentine’s Day Cassie! Here, please accept this modified chocolates I made especially for you.”

THE END

References:
[1] Anonymous, 2010. Cocoa, The Health Miracle. Medicine Hunter. http://www. medicinehunter.com/cocoa-health-miracle. March 9, 2014

[2] Potty, V.H., 2011. Towards “Healthier” Chocolates – New Developments. Food Technology. http://vhpotty.blogspot.com/2011/12/towards-healthier-chocolates-new.html. March 9, 2014.

Soliman, Karla L.
2013-09067
THX E-one

No comments:

Post a Comment